Increased sightings of Coyotes in Saddle River. What should you do?
With more and more deer in our area, coyotes as the nature predators of deer has also moved into the area. With the abundance of woods, the coyotes have made homes in Saddle River, NJ. These are some guidelines to follow if you see coyotes by your home.
Remember that these are wild animals and never go near one if spotted on your property!
- Never feed the coyotes! Feeding these wild animals will encourage them to stay and put you and your neighbors at risk
- Put all garbage out with tightly closed containers or lids
- Remove all sources of water outside that the Coyotes may use for drinking
- Bring in all pets at night
- Provide secure enclosures for rabbits, poultry and other farm animals on your property
- Install motion-sensitive lighting around the house
- Clear all brush and dense weeds around the dwellings – this reduces cover and homes for the coyotes
If you see Coyotes in the daytime and near your area, or been attacked by a Coyote IMMEDIATELY contact the Saddle River Police Department at 9-1-1 and the Division of Fish and Wildlife at 980-735-8793.
Learn more at http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fqw/coyote/infohtm